BIOMATDB: Project to boost the biomaterials and medical device market kicked off successfully
To support the rapidly growing biomaterials and medical device market, the BIOMATDB project will develop an advanced biomaterials database, an information marketplace with digital advisors and a label of biocompatibility. The developed solutions will ensure easier market access for biomaterial suppliers, better navigation for demanders and easier selection of suitable biomaterials for specific use cases.
As research, demand and supply in the area of biomaterials are rapidly growing, keeping an overview of the vast selection on the market can be challenging. To address this issue, the project “BIOMATDB: Advanced Database for Biomaterials with Data Analysis and Visualisation Tools extended by a Marketplace with Digital Advisors”, funded by Horizon Europe, will develop solutions to support the biomaterials and medical device market.
From June 2022 until November 2024, with a total duration of 30 months, the BIOMATDB consortium will develop an advanced biomaterials database including data analysis and visualisation tools. Furthermore, an information marketplace will be launched to connect suppliers and demanders. To assess the suitability of the biomaterials for medical applications, BIOMATDB will also create a label of biocompatibility. To ensure the successful implementation of the project solutions, validation and training activities will also be carried out.
The project is divided into two periods and a total of six work packages.
Throughout the project, BIOMATDB aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Assessing existing knowledge on biomaterials, gathering best practices for the database and conducting a stakeholder survey to collect the needs and requirements of relevant groups;
- Developing an advanced biomaterials database that will provide information on relevant properties and include easily understandable data analysis and visualisation tools;
- Launching an information marketplace where suppliers can share their products and digital advisors will offer guided product search for demanders;
- Creating a label of biocompatibility to ensure the suitability of biomaterials for specific uses in medical devices or advanced therapies, as well as to assist SMEs in gaining market access;
- Demonstrating the database and marketplace through test and validation cycles as well as conducting training activities and deriving a sustainable business model;
- Increasing awareness and impact of the project through communication and dissemination activities regarding objectives and solutions.
The BIOMATDB consortium consists of 12 partners and includes software developers and data engineers, biomaterial institutes and research organisations, clinics and medical organisations, medical industry networks and biomaterial research clusters. SYNYO will coordinate the project and work in collaboration with the partners Barcelona Supercomputing Center, University of Oslo, Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya, Tampere University of Applied Sciences, West Pomeranian University of Technology, MINDS & SPARKS, Business Council of the Center Region / Chamber of Commerce, Clust-ER Health, National University of Ireland Galway, Hospital Infantil Universitario Niño Jesús, and ECHAlliance. Additionally, BIOMATDB will benefit from the expertise of the three subcontracting partners, Dr. Osnat Hakimi, Carla V. Fuenteslópez and Prof. Yannis Missirlis.
While being the project coordinator, SYNYO will also lead two of the work packages. One is concerned with project management, consortium coordination, data and IPR, and reporting. In the other workpackage, SYNYO will lead the development of the database system, the data analysis tool, web applications, backend modules and multilingual frontends.
Biomaterials, database, marketplace, biocompatibility, medical devices, label, digital advisors, data analysis tools